The Epilepsy Education Exchanges are free annual conferences held in the Berks, Lancaster, Lehigh Valley, Philadelphia and Wilkes-Barre regions. We invite those living with epilepsy, family members, caregivers, medical and healthcare professionals, and school personnel to explore important topics in epilepsy while developing a network of support and increasing public awareness, education and understanding.
The Epilepsy Education Exchanges provide information on a wide array of relevant topics such as the latest in epilepsy treatments and updates, psychological, emotional and social concerns, clinical trials, employment, and school issues, as well as other challenges that those with epilepsy/seizure disorder share.
These conferences are free and open to the public. Travel reimbursement to programs available upon request. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
The Lehigh Valley Epilepsy Exchange will be held on May 14, 2020, at the Holiday Inn I-78 in Breinigsville, PA. Registration and vendor tables open at 5:15pm and the conference begins at 6:00pm. Refreshments will be served.
- “Neurological Testing” presented by Shannon Kelly, Ph.D., Neuropsychologist of Lehigh Valley Health Network
- “Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures (PNES)” presented by Zehra Husain, MD of Lehigh Valley Health Network Neurology
- “Comorbidity and Epilepsy” presented by Scott Kohler, MD of St. Luke’s Neurology Associates
Children ages 10+ are invited to join you for the Epilepsy Education Exchange. We will have a special activity room for socializing, games and dinner with supervision from EFEPA staff and volunteers. This is a great opportunity for youth with epilepsy and their siblings to get more involved with the EFEPA! Please RSVP with the number of children and ages to Ellen below.
For more information about the program, contact Ellen Baca, Lehigh Valley Coordinator, at email@example.com or 610-737-0613.
The Lancaster Epilepsy Education Exchange will be held on May 26, 2020, at the Lancaster County Public Safety Training Center. Registration and vendor tables open at 5:15pm and the conference begins at 6:00pm. Refreshments will be served.
- “SUDEP: Knowledge is Power” presented by Sally Schaeffer, SUDEP Institute Director of the Epilepsy Foundation SUDEP Institute
- “Emerging Treatments for Drug Resistant Epilepsy” presented by Kathyrn Davis, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurology of Penn Epilepsy Center
For more information about the program, contact Kerri Michnya, Lancaster Resource Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or (717) 449-1872
The Northeast PA Epilepsy Education Exchange will be October 28, 2020, at the John Heinz Institute in Wilkes-Barre, PA.
2019 Workshops included:
- “Beyond Medication: Responsive Neurostimulations for Treatment in Epilepsy” with Dr. Matthew Mercuri, Neurologist at Geisinger Health Center
- “Memory and Cognition in Epilepsy: Understanding the Issues and Tips to Help Improve” with Dr. Maya Lichtenstein, Behavioral Neurologist at Geisinger Health Center
- “Regaining Control: Navigating Mental Health in the Unpredictable World of Epilepsy” with Santina Williams, MS, LPC at CB Counseling LLC
For more information, contact us at 570-592-1150 or email@example.com.
The Epilepsy Education Exchange is our annual conference held in the greater Philadelphia area. The 2020 program will be in November at the Delaware County Intermediate Unit in Morton, PA.
2019 Conference Keynote presentation: “What’s New in Epilepsy” by Dr. Christopher Skidmore, Neurologist at Jefferson Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
2019 Workshops included:
- “SUDEP: Knowledge is Power” with Sally Schaeffer, SUDEP Institute Director, Epilepsy Foundation SUDEP Institute
- “Seizure Tracking & Management” with Sarah Tefft, MSN, RN, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- “Employment & SSI” with Tom Giordano & Erica Schikunov, Pond Lehocky Stern Giordano
For more information, contact us at 215-629-5003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Es un placer ofrecer una conferencia dedicada a los hispanohablantes con epilepsia. Reune con nosotros el primavera 2020 en el Hospital de Lehigh Valley. Dra. Soraya Jimenez presentará sobre la epilepsia y las crisis epilépticas. Ademas discutiremos temas como seguridad en la casa y en la comunidad y sugerencias de manejar una vida productiva y independiente.
Para más información, contacta Elizabeth Beil a email@example.com o 215-629-5003 x104.
This program is offered every other year in the spring to focus on the unique and special concerns related to epilepsy/seizure disorder that are gender specific. In some years the conference focuses specifically on women’s issues and in others there are sessions for women and men running concurrently.
2019 conference topics included:
- “Women and Hormones” with Lindsay Higdon, MD
- “Pregnancy & Childcare” with Danielle Becker, MD
- “Strong Women” with Joyce Liporace, MD
- “Living Our Best” with Jaime Spinell Zuckerman, PsyD
Joyce Liporace, MD has been the chairperson for the Women’s Conference since it’s inception in 1999. Michael Sperling, MD, Director of the Jefferson Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, was the chairperson of the first Men’s Conference in 2010.
Dr. Liporace’s session on Pregnancy & Epilepsy: