The Epilepsy Education Exchanges are yearly programs held in the Berks, Lancaster, Lehigh Valley, Philadelphia and Wilkes-Barre regions. Participants include those living with epilepsy, family and loved ones of those living with seizures, medical and healthcare professionals, and school personnel.
Topics are related to epilepsy treatments and updates, psychological, emotional and social concerns, clinical trials, employment and school issues, as well as other challenges that those with epilepsy/seizure disorder share.
For information on sponsoring an educational program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-629-5003.
These conferences are free and open to the public. Travel reimbursement to programs is available upon request. Email email@example.com for more information.
The Epilepsy Education Exchange is our annual conference held in the greater Philadelphia area. The 2017 program will be held on November 11th at the Delaware County Intermediate Unit in Morton, PA. Topics will include :
• Medical Marijuana: Evidenced-based review of treatment options in epilepsy and an overview of what PA’s medical marijuana program will mean for patients. Speaker: TBD
• Epilepsy 101: Learn about the updated definition of epilepsy, new seizure classifications, seizure testing and treatment pathways. Speaker: Dr. Dennis Dlugos, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
• Surgical Options for Epilepsy: New advances are changing the way epilepsy patients and doctors view surgery. Why should you consider an evaluation? Speaker: Dr. Chen Wu, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
• Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction Speaker: Jamie Roberts, Mindful Schools Certified Instructor
• Health Care and Disability Advocacy Speaker: Tony Coehlo, Former U.S. Representative, primary sponsor of the Americans with Disability Act
Learn more and sign up at www.epilepsyexchange.org. Need help getting to the program? Let us know and we can work with you. Questions? Contact Sue Livingston, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 215-629-5003.
Join us on Wednesday, October 25th for a free educational program epilepsy. The conference will be held at the John Heinz Insitute in Wilkes-Barre, PA. We’re excited to host a panel of experts who can help you learn more about the diagnosis of epilepsy. Click here to view the 2017 flyer. Topics will include:
• Epilepsy Treatments: a comprehensive overview of established treatments and what’s on the horizon. Speaker: Dr. Lindsay Higdon, Jefferson Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
• Managing Stress and Epilepsy Speaker: Kim Stokes, MS, LPC, John Heinz Institute
• Navigating Social Security Benefits Speaker: Michael J. Parker, Pond Lehocky Stern Giordano
Learn more and sign up at www.epilepsyinthevalley.org. Need help getting to the program? Let us know and we can work with you. Questions? Contact Mary Loughlin at email@example.com or 570-592-1150
The Lehigh Valley Epilepsy Conference was held on on May 3, 2017.
This year’s conference featured Sameh Serry Wasfy Morkous, MD, FAAN, Chief of Pediatric Neurology at Lehigh Valley Health Network speaking on intractable epilepsy and Anthony DeMarco, PsyD of St. Luke’s Hospital presenting on the relationship between chronic illness and mood.
Watch videos of the conference here:
For more information about the program, contact Ellen Baca, Lehigh Valley Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-629-5003.
Por la primera vez ofrecemos una conferencia dedicada a los hispanohablantes con epilepsia. Reune con nosotros el 7 de Marzo 2017 en el Hospital de Lehigh Valley. Dra. Soraya Jimenez presentará sobre la epilepsia y las crisis epilépticas. Ademas discutiremos temas como seguridad en la casa y en la comunidad y sugerencias de manejar una vida productiva y independiente.
Para más información, contacta Elizabeth Beil a email@example.com o 215-629-5003 x104.
This program is offered every other year in the spring to focus on the unique and special concerns related to epilepsy/seizure disorder that are gender specific. In some years the conference focuses specifically on women’s issues and in others there are sessions for women and men running concurrently.
Save the date for the 2017 Women’s Conference on April 29th at Lankenau Hospital.
The 2017 Women’s Conference will feature speakers from the top area epilepsy centers discussing Hormones & Epilepsy, Planning for Pregnancy, Midlife to Menopause, and Nutrition & Bone Health.
Past conference topics have included: Genetics and Epilepsy; Living with Epilepsy; Talking to your Doctor; Hormones: Puberty to Menopause; Pregnancy and Epilepsy; Medication Side Effects and Men’s Health. Click here to view the 2015 conference brochure.
Joyce Liporace, MD of Great Valley Neurological Associates, has been the chairperson for the Women’s Conference since it’s inception in 1999. Michael Sperling, MD, Director of the Jefferson Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, was the chairperson of the first Men’s Conference in 2010.
View a video recording of each session below, or visit our YouTube Page: